Friday, February 06, 2015

No Accounting for Taste

I will be the first to admit that I have become something of a food snob. Shocking, I know. That's not to say I don't appreciate my junk food. I mean, I am desperately searching for the limited edition red velvet Oreos, and I do love my Ben & Jerry's,  but overall, I prefer....well...snobby food. I want real whipped cream, not Cool Whip. Cooked and diced real bacon, not packaged bacon bits. And let's not even discuss canned frosting. Give me goat cheese, prosciutto, and local ingredients whenever possible. I avoid big chain restaurants when I can (although I don't have anything against local chains) and I am proud to say I can't remember the last time I went to McDonald's.

And yes, I am fully aware of how obnoxious I sound. 

I'm admitting my snobbery, so you can fully appreciate the following story.

I made a whole wheat and chicken sausage lasagna for dinner tonight. I knew there was very little chance the kids would actually eat it, so I decided to sweeten the deal with some chocolate cake purchased from the grocery store. Eat your dinner without complaining and you can have dessert.

Fine, I'm not only a food snob, I'm also a desperate mom.

Wesley ate his dinner and pronounced it "halfway between good and really good" so he got his chocolate cake for dessert.

Wesley: This is so good!

Mom: Good. I'm glad you like it.

Wesley: What's not to like!? It's Kroger chocolate cake!

And just like that I feel all my baking has been in vain.


No comments: