Friday, February 20, 2015

Another Snow Day

Is it possible to be "colded" in, instead of snowed in?  Temperatures were well below zero when we got up this morning, so it was yet another day of no school for the kiddos. That means they had school ONE day this week.  Sigh.

Wesley spent the morning working on some pictures. "I'm an artist and no one can stop me from doing art!" he exclaimed while gathering his supplies this morning.

Cleo had the right idea and spent the morning in the sun

Gus and Ryan sat in the sun for awhile too


I made the executive decision that we were going to get out of house for a little bit today, so around noon, when the temperature was a balmy 10 degrees we bundled up and piled into the car to run some errands. Our first stop was church. I'm supposed to provide cookies for the gathering area between services this Sunday and with our city supposed to get 5-8 inches of snow tomorrow, I'm not sure we'll be going to church on Sunday. But I wanted the brave souls who do get there to have something sweet to munch on!

After church, I decided we all needed a cold day treat. I've been craving a Krispy Kreme donut for a couple of weeks now and since there is a shop right by church, it seemed logical to make a little side trip there.

Ryan's treat had cookie dough in the donut hole. YUM!

Wesley taking a blissful bite of glazed donut filled with vanilla creme
Of course, the W. family can't go anywhere without some kind of incident. Wesley managed two sips of his hot chocolate before spilling his entire cup all over his coat, his pants and the table. The poor kid was absolutely mortified - but at least the hot chocolate wasn't hot enough to burn. One of the workers and I cleaned up the mess, all the while reassuring Wesley that he was not the first person to spill a drink there, nor would he be the last, and that no one was mad at him.  I don't know if he ever really believed us, but he did get over himself long enough to go get another hot chocolate.

From the donut shop, I took the chocolatey smelling boys across the street to the bookstore. Wesley has been wanting to buy a certain book, but then decided that he didn't need it after all. That boy has a very hard time parting with money. I told him that I didn't care if he didn't buy the book, but that sometimes it's okay to buy something just because you want it. "You are a kid," I explained. "Daddy and I make sure you have everything you need - food, clothes, a place to live, medicine when you're sick. You let us take care of that."

He still didn't feel like he could part with the money to buy a hardback book, but he did buy a couple of Mad Libs to keep him entertained over the weekend.


After the bookstore, we made one more stop - a quick trip to Cat Welfare to pet the felines. Both boys fell in love with a one-eyed cat named "Dreamboat" and were less than happy when I said that we were NOT adding a fourth cat to our family.




Then it was back home for more reading and loving on our own cats.




I kind of feel like I used up any kind of "fun" for the weekend. We're supposed to go bowling with our church group tomorrow, but since we're also supposed to get a lot of snow, I'm not really sure that's going to happen. I've tried to appease Ryan with the idea of Wii bowling and baking a cake if we get a lot of snow and have to stay in the house again tomorrow, but the thought of these kids stuck inside again makes me shudder. Maybe all the meteorologists are wrong?

No comments: