Friday, February 13, 2015

Just a Typical Friday Night

OK, maybe not a completely typical Friday night, but really, it wasn't too far off normal.

Ryan and I left the house after dinner to go to the grocery store. On the way there I realized that I had forgotten my phone at home, but I decided I didn't need it for just a quick trip to the store. I bought Ryan a cup of hot chocolate at the store cafe to drink while we shopped, and off we went.  Less than ten minutes later Duane was standing beside me, hand delivering the phone I had left at home.

"Did you go to Target already?" I asked. We discovered today that since Wesley has decided to rejoin the church choir, he needs a white shirt by Sunday.

"No, I brought you your phone. We'll stop and get a shirt after ukelele."

That was when Wesley noticed that Ryan had hot chocolate and wanted some too, so Duane decided go get him a cup before they left for class. About a minute after they walked off, Ryan wanted to tell Wesley something, so I said he could run up to the cafe to tell him. 

I happily continued shopping, and was getting a lot done, when I realized Duane and the kids had been gone a really long time. I wheeled my cart up to the cafe, but they weren't there.

I called Duane's phone. "Where are you?"

"About to walk into lessons," he said.

"And Ryan's with you, right?" I asked.

"No. I thought you had Ryan."

CRAP!!!  "No! He went to find you and Wesley at the cafe."

"He found us and when we left, I told him to go back to you."

"Well, I don't have him!"

CRAP!!!!!

I was just about to hang up with Duane and go into full panic mode, when I saw Ryan strolling along towards me like he didn't have a care in the world.

"Got him!" I said and hung up.

"Ryan! I was just about scared to death! Where did you go?"

Ryan nonchalantly climbed onto the cart and replied, "I didn't know exactly where you were, so I just did a lap around the whole store. I only stopped to look at a couple of things."

I swear, I am going to get that child a leash someday.

We finished our shopping without further incident, then decided to peek in on Wesley's lesson. While Wesley was showing Ryan what he was learning, I told Duane I'd just go to Target for them so they wouldn't have to stop after lessons. On the way out I reminded Ryan that if he wanted to take music lessons, we could see about making it happen.

"Well, I would like to play the drums," he answered. Of course he would.

So we went to Target for three things that ended up being four because Ryan wanted some mini marshmallows.  He only had a minor fit when I wouldn't buy him a LEGO set and told him that he'd have to save his money for it, but continued to pout while I checked out. 

Out of the blue, Duane appeared beside me again (which completely threw me off as I was trying to pay) and said he and Wesley still needed to get something there. Ryan was ticked at me, and he wanted to stay with Duane so I left for home by myself.

To recap: I left home with one kid and no husband, wound up at the store with hubby and two kids, which became no hubby and no kids, which turned into no hubby and lost kid, went back to no hubby and one kid, then found hubby and other kid, then returned home by myself. No wonder I feel a little confused tonight.

No comments: