As many of you know, Wesley does not tend to lack girlfriends. I did many a cartwheel this year when he made friends with Jack. Finally! A great boy to play with! But it looks like there might be a bit of trouble in best friend paradise.
At dinner last night Wesley calmly informed us that he has a new girlfriend. "Mk and I are in love. She's my new girlfriend and we're going to be partners on the zoo field trip."
"Oh," I responded. "I figured you'd be partners with Jack."
"Well, for some reason Jack doesn't think I want to be his friend anymore. And I do! He's by BFF!"
"Did you have a fight?" I asked
"No, but he wouldn't sit with me at lunch or at share time or play with me at recess."
I told Wesley that maybe he should be sure to talk to Jack at school the next day (today) and tell him that he definitely still wants to be friends.
"Yeah," he said, "because he's my brother from another mother and my friend and I'm even going to make a special joke book to give him at school!"
Wesley isn't really upset or anything, which is good, but it's hard for me to sit back and let things unfold. Yes, I know they are young boys and all friends fight. I know that this is just a little blip and in the next day or two things will be fine between them again. Part of me wants to try and "fix" it (which is ridiculous) and part of me is mortified that at age 6 a girl seems to be causing problems with a friend.
Oh, it's going to be a long road ahead. ;-)
1 comment:
I read your blog this morning and then talked to Jack about it without sounding like I already knew about it. Devious aren't I. He said he & Wesley were sat on the carpet and the kids standing up got to chose partners, so Mk chose Wesley & O chose Jack. Then he said Wesley & Mk are in love and want to play together so he's playing with O. They'll work it out no doubt. :-)
Post a Comment