Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Not Fair

Tomorrow is the first day of school for the W. boys. We've been pretty lax about bedtimes over the summer and letting the kids stay up as late as 10:30 if they didn't have to get up early the next morning, but obviously, school changes all of that. Duane and I decided that Ryan's school year bedtime would continue to be 9:00. Ryan does not like to get up in the morning and it often takes me going in there and ripping the covers off him to get his skinny little rear out of bed.  Wesley, on the other hand, often wakes up before I get him up and sometimes even beats me out of bed. Because of that Duane and I decided that his bedtime could be a little bit later - 9:30.

Ryan got wind of this change the other night and loudly proclaimed that it was not fair!

"It's perfectly fair, Ryan," I said. "First of all, Wesley is older than you so it makes sense that his bedtime would be later. More importantly, Wesley does not throw fits on a regular basis when it's time to get up. In fact, I usually don't have to tell him more than once to get up."

Ryan still believed that we were unfairly favoring his big brother, so he came up with a plan. At exactly 9:00 Ryan said, "It's my bedtime and I'm going to go straight to bed. I have to get lots of sleep so I can wake up earlier and then I can stay up later."

His logic kind of made my head spin, but it kind of makes sense too - in a weird six-year-old kind of way. I'll let you know how it works out.

No comments: