Friday, August 08, 2014

It's a Small World After All

Wesley and Ryan are currently taking a gymnastics class. Neither of them are interested in being competitive gymnasts, but they have fun in class and it keeps them moving while soccer is on hiatus. They are in a boys class, but a girls class runs at the same time and the boys and girls do warms up together before working with their own coaches.

Last night as I was watching Wesley and Ryan warm up, I noticed a girl with striking red hair join the class a little bit late. "Wow," I thought. "What beautiful hair she has."

Then I looked a bit closer at the girl and she looked extremely familiar to me. I looked around the waiting area and saw a mom that also looked really familiar. It took my brain a minute to piece it together, but it turns out the girl was C. - Wesley's girlfriend way back in pre-k.


C. and Wesley back in the day
I went over to the mom and re-introduced myself. She remembered me (and Wesley) immediately.

"Oh my word! This is so weird! We were just talking about Wesley the other day!" the mom said.

I waited until Wesley took a water break part way through class to ask him if he remembered C. from pre-K.  He said he did, so I said, "She's in the girl's class right now. See the girl in the green shorts? That's her!"

Wesley's eyes slid over to C., but since he was on a water break he didn't go over and say anything. I did notice a few furtive glances during class though.

When the classes were over and Wesley was getting his shoes on I asked if he wanted to say "hi" to C.  His face lit up, but then he got a hesitant look and asked if I would go with him. I said I would and the one time sweethearts were reunited. 

I won't lie and say there was immediate connection or that many words were exchanged other than "Hi, C." and "Hi, Wesley," but I do think it was nice for them to see each other again. And Wesley did ask if she'd be there next week too. I guess it really is a small world.

No comments: