I am a total cat person. I have always been a total cat person. However, the time has come in my life that I think I want a puppy. My friends have such sweet dogs. There are adorable, friendly dogs in my neighborhood. My own dad says, "A boy needs a dog," when I mention this desire and I think, "Yes. Yes, they do."
Logically, I know I like the idea of a dog much more than the reality. I love the idea of walks in the sun, but not the reality of walks in the rain, snow and cold. I dread the thought of puppy training classes and having to be home at certain times to let the dog out and more vet bills. But then I see a puppy and I think, "Oh! You shall be mine!"
I think I just have some misplaced mommy feelings. My kids are getting bigger. We're out of diapers (thank goodness) and one is out of a car seat. We're done with Kindergarten and into chapter books. I get drama and sass, and less hand holding. I miss snuggly babies that fall asleep on you. I miss little baby clothes and that warm feeling of feeding an infant.
So I guess what I'm really saying is, I want a baby (but not really) so a puppy would be the next best thing. A puppy would require me to lose sleep as it cries and needs let out. A puppy would have to be potty trained. A puppy would have to learn not to bite and not to chew and how to be sweet and behave. A puppy would love me unconditionally and actually be excited when I walked in the door instead of shrugging giving me a half-hearted "Hi, Mom."
Maybe I could just foster a puppy? But then I'm afraid I wouldn't want to give it back. Maybe I just need to hang out with my friends and their dogs a bit more until this feeling passes.
No comments:
Post a Comment