I want my kids to apologize when they do something wrong. I want them to own up to it and take take responsibility for their actions. That is why my one of my least favorite phrases is "I'm sorry, Mom, but..." If you are sorry, there is no "but" involved.
This evening I gave Ryan a bit of a hard time for having his Legos spread all over the floor instead of keeping them in the toy area. When I told him I didn't appreciate having to climb over a bunch of Legos strewn all over the place to get to my desk he responded with those four little words, "I'm sorry, Mom, but,"
"Ryan!" I interrupted. "Either you are are sorry or you are not sorry. I don't want to hear "but!"
Of course, I said "but" and Ryan (being a five year old boy) heard "butt."
"Mom," he explained. "I really didn't mean it like as in keister."
No comments:
Post a Comment