Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Happy Valentine's Day

I hope everyone either had a wonderful Valentine's Day or, if you aren't into Valentine's Day, I hope you are getting ready to block out all thoughts of the day with massive amounts of chocolate. Because, really, whether you are pro-Valentine's Day or not, chocolate is always good.

Duane and I celebrated our first Valentine's Day as a couple in 2003. At that time, I hated Valentine's Day. For the previous ten years, Valentine's Day had been nothing but a series of let downs and fights with the person who was my Valentine. It has taken all these years with Duane for me to finally accept that Valentine's Day doesn't have to stink and that it's who you are with that makes the day special.

Duane and I both took yesterday off work so we could be together on Valentine's Day. I've had a particularly rough month at work (lots of big projects hanging over my head) and for the last week, the thought of an entire day with my hubby has been the only thing getting me through. 

I'm happy to say the day was totally worth it.

There were flowers

chocolates
and Duane doesn't make promises he doesn't intent to keep (sorry, a little Beauty and the Beast movie reference there)

We took the kids to school and went out to breakfast at a restaurant where there were no kids in sight. I love kids, but, oh my gosh, how nice to have a meal with zero whining anywhere - especially not at my table. We drove to a few furniture stores and looked for a particular piece for our bedroom and got ideas for new living room furniture (which is what I am hoping to spend our tax refund on  - ssshhh! Don't tell Duane).  Again, how nice to go to stores without hearing "How many things are we going to get? Do we have to go in? Why is it taking so long?"

We took a nap in the middle of the day. We ordered pizza for lunch and ate it while watching a cheesy romantic comedy.

We drove through a level one snow emergency to go downtown to dinner and a show at one of our favorite local theaters where we laughed and drank champagne. We held hands and kissed and it was wonderful.

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful man in  my life.

No comments: