As I've mentioned many times, our new neighborhood is quite different from our old place. Most of the differences are very good, but there is one way in which the old place was superior - we didn't lose power there. We think it was because we lived immediately behind a hospital, but our roads were always plowed and the power didn't go off.
We knew when we moved into the new place that this neighborhood frequently loses power. It's just one of those things.The funny part is that Grandma and Grandpa H., who live in the same subdivision, are on a different breaker/grid/transformer/whatever and if we have lost power, they usually have it - and vice versa.
Last night was one of those random times that our power went out. It happened hours after the storm rolled through, about 8:00 pm while Duane was at a meeting at church. It was still perfectly light outside but Wesley immediately started stressing about the power being off.
Wesley: What are we going to do?
Me: I'm going to sit by the window and read.
Wesley: Can't you do something to turn the power back on?
Me: Nope
Wesley: Well, when Daddy gets home I'll ask him to turn the power back on.
Me: You can ask him, but he isn't going to be able to turn it back on.
Wesley: Isn't there anyone you can call about it?
Me: I'm sure the people who can fix it know that it needs fixed. They'll take care of it as soon as they can.
Wesley: What will we do when it gets dark?
Me: We'll go to bed.
And that's what we did. But when Duane was tucking Wesley in by the light of the flashlight Wesley asked, "What about my nightlight? I can't sleep without my nightlight." Duane left a flashlight on in Wesley's room and when the power came back on sometime in the wee hours of the morning, Duane got up and turned a light on in Wesley's room.
Here's hoping we don't lose power for a real amount of time in the near future. I'm not sure Wesley's stress level could handle it.
No comments:
Post a Comment