Sunday, March 10, 2013

Oh What a Beautiful Day

On Friday I posted about feeling old and crotchety. Well, yesterday was the cure I needed! It was a darn near perfect day from start to finish!

For starters, I didn't have to work so I got to sleep in and wake up when I felt like it and not when the alarm clock said to. Duane went up the street and picked up chocolate croissants and almond croissants for breakfast, which was a perfect treat.

The big thing on our agenda yesterday was to go get our taxes done. Now, I know you are probably wondering how getting taxes translates into anything close to a beautiful day - especially when I tell you that we had to wait for a good hour or more to actually see someone AND we had both the boys with us. Most of the time that would be a recipe for total disaster, but the stars aligned yesterday and my boys were little angels at the tax office. I have taken the iPad away from them for a nearly a week, but I let them have play on it while we waited. Wesley surprised me by declining his turn, preferring to read a book of fairy tales he had brought along. They even took played with a little 18 month old girl who was also in the waiting room and made pleasant conversation with an older woman who was also waiting.



Other bonuses at the tax place were that the man preparing our taxes was super friendly and funny. He made me laugh a lot, which I needed pretty badly. Plus we are actually getting back more money than we did last year! We may be able to buy ourselves bikes in addition to the new stove we were planning on.

The tax place we go to happens to be across the street from our friend's food truck and we could smell the fried chicken in the air! Mark was trying out chicken and waffles yesterday, so we decided to head over for lunch. The boys did the chicken chant and flapped chicken wings as we walked. Very cute. And the chicken and waffles were flat out of this world! My tummy was so so happy!

We spent the afternoon at home and the boys behaved themselves well enough that both Duane and I managed to take naps in the living room. I'm pretty sure I broke up at least one fight and sent the boys to their rooms while I was less than half conscious, but it was still a good nap!

The boys had a babysitter last night while Duane and I went to a game night for the adults in our church group. I had the best time I've had in I don't know how long. We laughed until tears ran down our faces and more than woman joked that they were going to end up peeing their pants. It was just one of those great times you wish wouldn't end. I really like the couples in our group and every time we do a social with them, I feel a little more a part of the group. We have actual friends in church now and to be honest, I haven't had that since middle school.

It was pretty much a perfect day!

No comments: