Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

I love our new neighborhood. I mean, really love it.

Yesterday was just a beautiful day. The boys and I ran some errands and then I decided to tackle all the leaves around the shrubs and flower beds in our front yard. I didn't have any yard bags, but Grandpa H. walked some over to me - and when I ran out again, I was able to send the boys on their scooters and bikes just up the street and around the corner to Grandma and Grandpa's to get more.  Yes, I did call Grandma and Grandpa and let them know the boys were on their way so they could be on the lookout, but I love that it gave the boys a sense of indepence.

I love that they can ride bikes in our subdivision and I can say things like, "Don't go so far that you can't see our house" and they take care of each other. I love that the neighbors all look out for the boys and say "hi" to them when they are out and know their names.

We met another one of the neighbors across the street yesterday. She is very sweet and was simply charming to the boys. While they were out riding bikes/scooters she asked me, "Do your boys eat chocolate?"

I grinned and answered, "Only every chance they get!"

When they rode back in the drive, she brought over a large chocolate bunny for them to have as a "Happy Easter and thank you for being my neighbors," gift.



Needless to say, the boys are now smitten with her. Ryan even "helped" her with her flowers by her mailbox and the ever important placement of the garden gnome.

We dyed Easter eggs yesterday too. The boys did a great job with it.



Unfortunately, we had a bit of an issue when it came time to put stickers on the eggs. Wesley dropped his favorite egg and it smashed one side completely. He ordered us to fix it with a piece of tape, and did not understand why we couldn't. Tears followed, but in our house, it wouldn't be Easter egg decorating without some tears. I don't know that is part of our tradition, but it seems to be. I'm sure the bunny will bring enough chocolate tomorrow that the egg will definitely be a thing of the past.

No comments: