Last night Duane and I had our first (and much needed) date night since before Christmas. Duane is fabulous about giving me time to go out with the girls, but a date night requires a sitter and I don't like to ask my parents too often since they watch the boys during the week.
What's really mind blowing is that we have TWO date nights this week! I know, we're living the wild life, aren't we? Last night we went to see a show with some friends and Saturday night we are doing something with the adults in our church group.
I had already told the boys that they were going to have a babysitter (not a grandparent) on Saturday night while Duane and I went out, but last night's outing was kind of last minute and my mom said she'd watch the boys.
As the boys were getting their shoes and coats on for school yesterday morning I made the comment, "Mommy and Daddy are going out tonight so you guys will have an early dinner today."
All of a sudden Ryan threw his shoes down and announced, "Then I don't have to go to school!"
What?
"Yes, Ryan. You do have to go to school. Today is a school day," I reminded him.
"No!" he protested. "You and Daddy are going out on Saturday night and Alexis is coming to babysit us on Saturday and I don't have school on Saturday, so I don't have to go to school today!"
I could kind of see where he was coming from, so I gently explained that we were going out two nights this week and he did, in fact, have to go to school.
And what did I learn from this? One, we need more date nights. Two, my kid needs a calendar. And three, never announce that Mommy and Daddy are going out when shoes are involved.
No comments:
Post a Comment