We had something very sad happen our family yesterday. I am not going to share it here because it is not my story to tell (meaning I am not the primary person involved) but it has left a hole in our hearts.
I was very upset last night, but trying to keep it together and act like everything was alright in front of the boys. They must have known something was wrong though because they were right by my side all night. Wesley made a book of his own and read it to me. Ryan got a blanket and all his stuffed animal friends and crawled up on the couch next to me to "nuggle."
By bedtime, I was still feeling quite heartbroken, so I told the boys they could sleep in my bed. Usually the boys getting in bed with me means that Ryan gets in the middle since he's the littlest and Wesley and I take the sides. Last night they curled up on either side of me and told me they loved me. Wesley even held my hand until he fell asleep.
Tonight we shared the news with Wesley. I knew it would upset him on some level, but I wasn't sure how much. My dear, sweet boy cried at the news. And tonight it was my turn to provide the comfort. My turn to snuggle next to him on the couch with a blanket and hold his hand and tell him that it's okay to be sad. And after the tears stopped, his immediate thought was of the person who is hurting the most right now. I am so proud to be his mama.
No comments:
Post a Comment