Friday, January 27, 2012

Growing Up

Ryan is suddenly such a big guy. Seriously, when did my baby turn into a honest to goodness kid instead of a toddler?

It's not just the fact that we've pretty much said goodbye to diapers - although that certainly doesn't hurt. It's that he's suddenly doing things like putting his shoes on by himself and picking out his own clothes and asking how to spell words.

After we dropped off Wesley this morning, Ryan and I went to turn in his preschool application for next school year. Duane and I thought long and hard about putting Ryan in the 3 and 4 year old class so he could be with his good buddy D., but after reading the class descriptions we decided to put him in the straight 4 year old class because the goal of that class is Kindergarten readiness. I hope that was the right choice, but as long as Ryan doesn't have the social issues that Wesley did, we're only planning on one year of preschool.

Anyhow, after we dropped off the registration in the office, Ryan walked right down the hall to Wesley's classroom from last year. "We have to pick Wesley up," he told me. I can't believe Ryan remembered exactly which room to go to!

I reminded Ryan that Wesley goes to a different school now, to which Ryan responded, "So let's go pick Wesley up his new school."

I explained that we just dropped Wesley off and we couldn't go get him until later this afternoon.

"But I like Wesley," Ryan answered.

"Well, I like him too," I said. "But he still has to go to school."

Maybe Ryan still has some little boy left in him after all.

No comments: