Thursday, July 01, 2010

What Do You Mean It's July?

When I was a kid it always felt like it took FOREVER for July to arrive. School let out in early June and it felt like years before the Fourth of July. As a kid, summer seemed to really begin in July. As an adult it's a totally different story. Maybe I'm just in a "glass half empty" kind of mood, but July kind of bums me out this year. Why?

  1. The summer solstice has come and gone. That means that we are having less daylight each day. As someone who is "solar powered" this is highly distressing.
  2. I keep a calender across the top of my computer monitor at work. Starting today, I have to look at the last half of the year - the part with the stressful holidays and the return of cold weather.
  3. I have already been seeing reviews for Halloween and Christmas books at work.
  4. All the summer clothes are marked down in the stores so they can bring in the sweaters and back to school stuff.
  5. I want to have our house up for sale by the end of July and I'm just not sure we can get all the work done by then.
On the bright side, July does bring
  1. Sweet corn
  2. fireworks
  3. Ryan's birthday
  4. good pool weather (usually)
I'll try to focus on the positive. Let me know if you come up with any other July high points.

3 comments:

Kate said...

We're going to a Clippers game or to Picnic with the pops??

Mandy S. said...

Well, august is the best month of the year and it isn't even here yet...Simons first birthday and my 32nd, and Buckeye football which means nachos and tailgates- then pumpkin carving- so many things to look forward to! I hate winter though, so dint ask me this in November- just living in the now. :)

Kelsey said...

I don't know, you could just try saying, "It's only July? There's so much of summer left!" :-) We don't do too much festival going, but the end of the summer/beginning of fall seems to bring lots of good ones.