Saturday, July 17, 2010

Summing Up Saturday

Oh what a day. It's been a little busy, but nothing really out of the ordinary. I think it's taken it's toll on me today because I stayed up WAY past my bedtime to watch a movie with Duane - and I'm still trying to decided if said movie was worth being so tired today.

We started today off by taking the boys to COSI. We had signed Wesley up for a preschool program about animal habitats and thought Ryan might like to play while Wesley was in his class. We drew straws to see who would go with Wesley and who would go with Ryan. OK, that's a lie - I told Duane that if he went to the program (for two hours) I'd take Wesley to a birthday party he's been invited to next week (also two hours). Sounded like a fair trade to me.

We split up as soon as we got inside. Ooooo....was that a bad idea. Ryan kept saying, "Daddy? Wesley? Go?" I had the great idea to take him outside to the farm machine exhibit to distract him. Right. Great idea. He pouted the whole time and only wanted to go back in the building to look for Daddy and Wesley. I even started calling him Pout Pout Fish (after the book) We went back in and played in the little kidspace for about 20 minutes, and then he wanted to start searching for Daddy and Wesley again.



I was able to distract Ryan from his search by purchasing something for him in the gift shop. He picked a ball (big surprise) and I got a rubber frog for Wesley. Combine the new purchase with the snack and we ALMOST had a smiley kid until it was time to meet Duane and Wesley.



Wesley really liked the workshop - almost as much as he liked the rubber frog. The rubber frog even went to a birthday party with us this afternoon. We all had a great time at the party, although I learned that the secret to successful party going is to leave while your kids are still behaving and everyone thinks they are wonderful. Of course, having to return to the party 5 minutes after we left because of a lost rubber frog might have taken some of the shine away.

Oh well, it was still a pretty good (and tiring) day.

No comments: