Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Daredevil / Fraidy Cat

I'm starting to think that Ryan has a bit of a split personality. In so many ways he is our daredevil child. He likes to be tossed and flipped. He'll jump off the side of the pool into the water, off a deck, off a slide, off a couch- whatever! But there are a few odd little things that scare him.

Ryan is afraid of balloons being blown up. Not of the balloon when it is inflated - then they are just fine and fun to play with, but do NOT blow them up in front of him.

Tonight we discovered that he is afraid of birthday party noisemakers like these - even if they don't really make a noise. We recently purchased some of the things for Wesley's birthday party in August. We had extra noise makers, so when Wesley asked to play with one, I said ok. As soon as Wesley started blowing it, poor little Ryan screamed like someone was torturing him. He did eventually recover to try one on his own.


And I don't think my little daredevil boy will be climbing any mountains anytime soon. This evening he wanted something that I had stashed on top of the toy kitchen. So what did Ryan do? What any self respecting toddler would do! He climbed the toy kitchen. The only problem was, he didn't think he could get down and kind of freaked out. Mommy came to the rescue - after taking a couple of pictures of course.

But somehow, I don't think getting stuck 18 inches off the ground will really scare the thrill seeking out of him long term.

No comments: