Wednesday, February 28, 2007

He's a Genius!


There's a story in my family about me learning to read. I used to memorize my books and "read" them to my family. When I was really little I "read" a book to my Grandma D. She was amazed and told my dad that she couldn't believe I was reading. My dad tried to explain to her that I has memorized the book and wasn't really reading yet. My grandma snapped back "She's reading!"

I think I know how my grandma must have felt now. I was putting clothes away in Wesley's room and he was sitting on the floor looking at books. All of a sudden I heard a little voice say "Night moon....balloon....bears, chairs....comb, brush...hush" I turned around to see Wesley with his Goodnight Moon book. He was "reading" the story out loud. Now I know my eighteen month old was not reading, but I will admit, my eyes teared up. He may not be reading, but he's on the fast track with those ever important pre-reading skills. My little genius.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Isn't this age incredible?

They pick up an amazing amount of information when you hardly notice they are paying attention. Elaina's favorite book is Dr. Seuss's Hop on Pop and I'll find her randomly reciting a group of words from the book from time to time. We're big fans of Goodnight Moon as well.

Just wait... this is only the beginning of his literary talent. He'll continue to amaze you when you least expect it. And it never gets old! And you'll never stop feeling like your going to burst with pride!