Wesley amazes me on a daily basis. I love to watch him and listen to him because I never know how he's going to astound me next. I guess that's part of the joy of being a parent.
We went to the memorial service for a family friend today. Wesley did pretty well at first. He had just woken up from a nap in the car and was busy taking in the sights (including Grandma and Grandpa H.) The service started and I broke out the Taiwanese candy from Aunt Cathy. Wesley loves that stuff and since I break it into tiny pieces, a little lasts for a long time. Eventually Duane did have to take Wesley out of the room, but the little guy continued to behave.
After the service ended, everyone stood around and talked for awhile. It was during the social time that Wesley discovered the nifty carpeted steps in the hallway of the funeral home. There were only about six steps and Wesley had a grand time climbing up them. "Climb!" He'd say and start up them! However, mean ol' Mommy wasn't sure that was the best thing for Wesley to be doing at a memorial service, so I pulled him off the steps, told him no and carried him down the hall way. The first chance he got, Wesley ran back over to the steps - but he didn't climb them!! He stood at the foot of the stairs and babbled away. He'd point to the steps, he'd say "Steps" and he'd say "I climb steps." But if I told him no, he didn't put so much as one foot on the step. We repeated this for a good five minutes How impressive is that!? That's the self control part. The secret plan part is as soon as my eyes were averted, he climbed the steps. Guess he figured he had lulled me into a false sense of security and it was time to make his move. Toddlers is tricksy!
No comments:
Post a Comment