Monday, February 12, 2007

Blueberry Boy



I am losing my battle of wills against Wesley. Remember when I said I was not going to fight with Wesley over food? I lied. I lied BIG TIME! Wesley has become the stereotypical toddler who will only eat some of the time and only some of the food offered. The problem is, there is no rhyme or reason to it. Yesterday he ate like a pig, today he's barely touched food all day. Some bites of food are acceptable to eat, but some bites of the same food must immediately be thrown on the floor. I am starting to dread mealtimes!

Duane and I have instituted a rule that Wesley does not have to eat the food on his plate, but he does have to sit with us during dinner. Of course, we aren't real good about that rule. We desperately want him to eat and can't leave well enough alone. Tonight we waited until he started whining, then stuck a forkful of mashed potatoes in his mouth. Once Wesley tasted them, he decided they were acceptable for at least a few forkfuls. We cheated though and sneaked bites of pork chop and broccoli in the potatoes. That worked for while. Then, when he started whining again, I popped a blueberry (previously frozen) into his mouth. That worked for awhile too. Wesley suddenly remembered that he likes blueberries and ate several. Good thing it's bath night! He also worked on a piece of bread and butter. It was a far cry from a meal, but at least I know he got some food in him.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I've been struggling with this too and I was really concerned until I read somewhere that toddlers only need something like 1 tablespoon times their age sooo a 2 year old technically only needs 2 tablespoons of a serving of veggies or whatever. Im going with that, it makes me feel better. The other thing that fustrates me is that Isaac eats great for the sitter. All of his veggies and more! the stinker