Truthfully, there are a lot of things I just don't get, but this post will focus on two that happened today.
Duane and I had a meeting at church today after the worship service. We signed up to attend this particular meeting, because 1) it was immediately after worship and 2) there would be a magician to entertain the kids while the adults met.
The meeting itself went really well. The problem came when we went upstairs to pick up the boys. The magician had given Wesley a live goldfish in a little fish bowl - to keep. So guess who had to be bad guy in this situation? Me! I told Wesley we were not taking the goldfish home because we have three cats that would try to eat it. I left out that Duane and I would be the ones taking care of the fish and that I don't really like fish all that much. They kind of creep me out. We ended up giving the fish to another family who actually wanted it and made two other boys happy.
So here's what I don't get - how do you give a child a living thing without first checking with their parents!?!?!
On to the next thing I don't get.
It is a beautiful day today and the boys wanted to play outside. As most of you know, we don't let the boys play outside by themselves because our backyard opens up to an alley, and we have gotten several postcards in the mail stating that a registered sex offender has moved into the area. I'm just not taking those kind of chances with my kids. Duane took the paper outside and was sitting on the porch while the kids played. The little boy from next door asked to come over. His mom was in their backyard and was fine with it, so he came over. A few minutes later, a little boy appeared at our side gate. He and Ryan talked for a few minutes and Ryan wanted to know if his new friend could come in our yard and play too.
Now Duane and I have never seen this child before and have no idea where he lives. We said that if he wanted to come play in our yard, we'd have to get his parents permission. So I walked up the street a few houses with the little boy and he went inside to ask if he could play in our yard. He was gone for several minutes and I could hear voices through the open windows. The boy came out and said it was okay with his parents.
Here's what I don't get. His parents never came out to see me, or find out where their child was going. How do you let your child go off with a stranger you've never laid eyes on? Especially in our neighborhood! They washed his face and cleaned him up a bit, so I know he talked to someone in there.
Now the dad did wander down the block about 10 or 15 minutes later and Duane introduced himself, but I'm still dumbfounded by the whole thing. Duane walked the boy home when it was time for our kids to come in, but the dad didn't even look out the window, let alone say anything like "Thanks for letting him come over."
I just don't get it.
2 comments:
wow, I don't get either of those thing either! I hope you gave the magician a murderous glare at least! ha ha ha.
We had a similar experience on our vacaction. The mom actually started sending her kids over to my cabin and they'd arrive stating they hadn't eaten and were hungry! I was astounded (but fed them of course). Some people shouldn't be allowed to have children!
Agreed on all accounts!
Post a Comment