Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Open House

Last night was open house at Wesley's school. I had actually been looking forward to it, but by the time the evening rolled around I was a big ol' crankpot.  I'm not really sure what was bothering me so much, but lots of little things just got under my skin
  1. Who schedules parent events (and soccer practice for that matter) to start at 6:00? It's really rough on working parents.  We try to grab a bite of dinner because Wesley and I turn into absolute bears when we are overly hungry, but it turns into a mad rush and a fight with traffic to get there on time.
  2. If it's an open house, why are parents instructed to be there promptly at 6:00 and to report to the gym? What happened to "open house" meaning stop by when  you can between these hours.
  3. Book fair + open house at same time = feeling pressured into buying something. I told Wesley we weren't going to the book fair, but he made a bee line there anyhow. Luckily, Grandma is nicer than me (especially last night) and treated the boys to a book a piece.
See, little stuff that shouldn't have bothered me, but for some reason I could not shake off last night.

Other than my poor attitude though, open house went very well. Wesley's classroom is nice and he showed us everything: his desk, his papers on the wall, the jobs chart, the behavior chart, his mailbox. He introduced us to his (very nice) teacher and some of his friends. We signed up for our parent teacher conference in November and to bring treats to the fall party.

Wesley's teacher told us he was "one smart cookie" and very well behaved in class. That's always nice to hear.

Ryan found the kid-sized recliner that I think the student of the week sits in. He made himself very at home in it. We practically had to pry him out of it when we left the room.

Give this kid a root beer and the remote and he'd be set!
We also got to meet Wesley's art teacher, Mr. V.  Mr. V. is more of an art dude really. He just looks like he'd be really at home on the soccer field and has a great laid back vibe. He's young and personable. He told us that Wesley is really quiet at school and well behaved.  Then he took us out in the hall to show us Wesley's Monet inspired water color.
Have I mentioned lately how much I love Wesley's school? I really do. The teachers are wonderful, Wesley is learning so much  and I have met great new friends. I think we're off to another good year.

No comments: