Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Mean Ol' Mommy

I am the first to admit that I am a mean mommy. Well, maybe the second since Wesley would be pretty darn quick to tell you how mean I am. Yesterday morning he even asked me, "Why are you mean every day?"

"How am I mean?" I asked.

"You always tell us not to do stuff and to eat our dinner when we don't like it," he answered.

I was a little miffed, so I asked, "What about all the other stuff? Who brought home a movie for you to watch last night? Who lets you sleep in their bed and snuggle? Who helps you with your homework?"

Wesley thought for moment before answering, "Maybe you're not always mean."  Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence there kid.

Believe it or not, the conversation actually went downhill from there. Wesley then informed me that he would rather live with his grandparents.

Even though I knew I'd regret it, I went on to ask, "Why do you want to live with Grandma and Grandpa?"

"Every since you moved the toy boxes to our rooms there are no good toys downstairs. The only things I like to do downstairs now are read my books, play on the computer or watch tv. And you won't let me have a tv in my room. But Grandma and Grandpa have good toys everywhere, so I want to live with them," Wesley replied.

Now I am a little embarrassed to admit that being called mean and then being told that my oldest child wanted to go live with his grandparents within the space of five minutes did kind of hurt my feelings. Wesley must have been able to read it on my face because he came up and hugged me and said, "Don't worry, Mom. It's not because of you that I want to live somewhere else."

Like that's supposed to be encouraging.  Someone needs to tell this kid to quit when he's ahead.




1 comment:

Pam said...

Oh the little heart breaker! I'd have been upset too but you know he adores you.
Not having any family in town I can assume that I won't have those types of conversations but Jack does pester me constantly about having a sleep-over at YOUR house!