Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sort of Single Parenting

Every time Duane goes on a boy scout camping trip I gain a whole new respect for single parents and parents who have a partner that travels for work. I've had the boys to myself for about 2 days total and I'm wiped out!

I ended up taking Friday off to be with the boys because of a sick Grandpa and other grandparents having a long dr. appt. Friday went OK despite the rain. We were all up and dressed early, so we went to Target for a few things, then headed to the "big library." We stayed there for about an hour, then came home for lunch, cleaning and naps. An uneventful day, but nice for the most part.

Yesterday Duane left the house before 9:00 for the camping trip, so once again I had the boys to myself. By 10:00 I knew I needed to do something with them that didn't involve staying home, so we headed to COSI. I even gave in and bought lunch there because Wesley asked nicely and it meant less time at home.

We headed to Grandma and Grandpa H.'s later in the afternoon and I left them there for a few hours so I could go to dinner and shopping with Aunt Cathy. You know, the whole time she has lived here (4 years? 5 years?) I have never had the opportunity to spend one on one time with her! We always have at least one of the four boys with us. It was SO nice to have a girl's evening with her. We went out to dinner and did a bit of shopping and talked and talked and talked. I learned more about her last night than I have in all the time I've known her and I'm even more proud to call her my "sister".

I had the boys home by 9:00 and got Ryan to fall asleep in his own bed! Wesley and I slept in my bed - and Ryan joined us around 3:30. Not too shabby.

I have a short "to do" list to get done before Duane comes home and we have a birthday party this evening. It's been a nice weekend, but I sure miss my hubby!

No comments: