Thursday, June 11, 2015

My Sensitive Boy

I've always said that Wesley is my sensitive boy. Ryan may be able to cry at the drop of a hat, but Wesley feels things really deeply and has the ability to really empathize with others.  It's one of the things I love most about him.

Take tonight for example. Tonight we went to visit a nearly 92 year old friend of the family who is in the hospital with a broken arm. She isn't exactly the best patient in the world and was busy cursing at one of the nurses when we arrived. As soon as she saw Wesley and Ryan though, she completely changed her tune. She talked to the boys and sang to Wesley, told both of the kids how wonderful they were, and she cried a bit. She gets confused and she's lonely and she's on a lot of medication. I could tell our visit cheered her for a little while and I'm so glad we went, but I know she's pretty miserable right now.

Here's the thing though. I think seeing a grandparent figure in a situation like that would freak a lot of kids out. Not Wesley. Upon entering the room, Wesley walked right over and took "Grandma" S.'s hand - and he never once let go of it until it was time to leave. He smiled at her, and talked to her, and would occasionally give her hand a little squeeze. In contrast, Ryan said "hi" and "bye" when we left, but was really more interested in looking out the sixth floor window. Wesley kept his focus on her. 

When we left, Wesley leaned in and kissed her and I think a little piece of my heart just melted.  How can a kid so sweet, so kind, be mine? What have I done to deserve this amazing young man in my life?I know I get on his case a lot and I have high expectations of him, but he still manages to just blow me away.

Wesley, if you are reading this someday in the future, please know that tonight was one of the times I have been the most proud of you. Your capacity to love and feel for others is a special gift. You are an amazing young man. I love you.

1 comment:

Pam said...

You just made me cry! Yes he's an amazing young man, you have every right to be proud of him :)