On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.
In case you can't tell from the above oath, we now have a cub scout in the house. I've been kind of avoiding the whole scouting thing. I mean, Kirk and I were both scouts as kids and Duane was a scout, but it wasn't something I actively pursued for Wesley. I have avoided it partly because of the time commitment and partly because of BSA policy to exclude members based on their sexual orientation.
But things change. The BSA no longer discriminates against gay members (although we're still working on that leader thing) and I now have a child who is eager to be a scout.
Wesley came home from school on Friday telling me all the reasons why he wants to be a cub scout. He said he wanted to go camping, and design a car, and learn archery, and all sorts of "other activities." It was one of the first things, other than art classes, that he's been really truly excited about doing. He enjoys soccer well enough, but he doesn't love it and he hated t-ball and swim lessons were never really his thing either.
So now it's time to give scouting a go.
The first meeting is next week and the first camp out (which little brothers are allowed to attend) is in less than a month. Of course, the camp out is the weekend of my birthday, which means I'll be celebrating the first part of my 40th year with a quiet house and good book. But the boys are both super excited about going camping, so I guess that makes it worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment