Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Best Friends and Worst Enemies

Wesley and Ryan are typical brothers - they get along most of the time and fight like dogs other times.

Nine times out of ten, Ryan is the instigator in any fight the boys find themselves in. I don't know if it's his ornery personality, or part of being the youngest, but some days I would swear that Ryan feels his entire purpose in life is to annoy his big brother.

That's not to say Wesley is without blame. Trust me, he can give as good as he gets. Take yesterday morning for example, Wesley was bound and determined to get on Ryan's last nerve. It began with Wesley humming during breakfast, despite Ryan's repeated requests for him to please stop. Then it morphed into making a clicking noise with his tongue while they got their shoes on, which drove Ryan up a wall. Things escalated with Wesley running around to the passenger side of the van and getting in before Ryan.

You'd think that would be bad enough, but no, Wesley kicked it up another notch by taking a plastic cup holder out of Ryan's side, moving it to his own side, and tapping it for the whole ride to school. By the time we arrived at drop off five minutes later, Ryan was infuriated because of the noise and because Wesley would not give the cup holder back so Ryan could put it away.

I pulled into the drop off lane, where a teacher, the custodian and the principal wait every morning to help the students out of their cars. I naively thought that once we opened the door to the van, the boys would hop out and the issue would be forgotten. Oh, how wrong I was.

Mrs. B, the principal, opened the door to the van and Wesley stood up to get out. As soon as he did, Ryan reached over to grab the cup holder and put it back on his side. Wesley saw Ryan make his move and spun around to shove his little brother, which quickly escalated to a push and pull match with Mrs. B. and I both telling the boys to "get out of the car."

Wesley finally grabbed his backpack and jumped out of the van. Ryan was close on his heels, but not to get to get to school. Nope. As soon as Ryan's feet hit the sidewalk, he dropped his backpack and began throwing punches at Wesley! And right in front of the principal! I was mortified! She got it under control quickly and the boys headed off to the playground. I know it only lasted a moment or two, but it felt like ages. I guess time must slow down when you're embarrassed.

Even though the boys didn't get in trouble at school for the brother brawl and no one was hurt, Wesley and Ryan faced punishment when they got home this afternoon. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to face Mrs. B. at the PTA meeting tonight.

No comments: