Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Boom! Crash!

I was in a car accident yesterday. I'm okay. I was not at fault. No one was hurt and kids weren't with me.

I was on my way to an early morning meeting at work when a car ran a red light and plowed into me. The van is pretty beat up, and we won't be surprised if the insurance company totals it.

But, as strange as this may sound, I am also thankful for so many things dealing with this accident. First and foremost, the kids were not with me. The van got hit right where Ryan sits and that thought alone makes my skin crawl and stomach feel sick.

I'm thankful that no one was hurt. I have a sore elbow and a bit of headache, but I'm not hurt. The other driver was not hurt. We both walked away.

I'm thankful that he had insurance.

I'm thankful for the one single person (out of many witnesses) who took the time to stop, made sure I was not hurt and gave a statement to the police officer. This person stayed with me until a friend could arrive. He got my purse and coffee out of the van. He reported the accident and made me feel safer at a time when I felt so vulnerable.

I am thankful for my co-worker, Jeff, who saw me standing on the sidewalk and my van smashed up and came to check on me rather than rushing off to the meeting.

I am thankful for my wonderful and amazing boss, who, when I called her to say I wouldn't be at the meeting, came running up the street (I was only a block from work when I got hit) to check on me. She called the insurance company. She helped me find a body shop. She retrieved the rest of my things from the car and drove me home. Once at my house, she debriefed my dad (who I had called to come meet me) and made sure I was okay before leaving.

I'm thankful for my dad, who came to be with me until I was calm. He made phone calls for me, drove me out to the body shop to retrieve my garage door opener and, most importantly, fed me a greasy, cheesy, carb-y breakfast, which was exactly what I needed.

I'm thank for my mom and stepdad who have graciously loaned me a vehicle until I either get the van back, or get something else to drive. 

Yesterday morning was awful, but it could have been so much worse. And for that, I am thankful.

No comments: