Saturday, August 30, 2008

Three Years Old!

Yesterday was Wesley's third birthday! I can't believe he's three already! We had a very very busy day. Thank goodness Duane took the day off work and was around to help me. I'm not sure how I would have managed on my own.

The day started off with the whole family getting up around 6:00. UGH! Trust me, it wasn't planned. Wesley ate a great breakfast and even asked for seconds, which is unheard of. And all of us being up early was probably a good thing since Wesley had a doctor appointment at 10:00.

Wesley was pretty good at the doctor, especially when you consider he was being a puppy. He actually cooperated with the nurse when it was time to step on the scale (32.5 pounds), be measured (37.5 inches) and get his blood pressure taken. Of course, then they gave the poor little guy a pop quiz! He had to tell the nurse what his name was (he wouldn't say it, but he spelled it), say if he was a boy or a girl (I'm just glad he didn't say "puppy"), jump up and down and stand on one foot. Those were the things he did well on. He refused to draw a circle for the nurse and when she asked if he dressed himself, we had to answer "no." Guess we know what we need to work on. The doctor gave him a clean bill of health - and a shot and a flu mist. Happy Birthday, huh?

Since he was generally good at the doctor's (there was a small fit) we decided to take a trip to the pet store to see the puppies and kitties. Wesley had a great time looking at all the animals. We played with a puggle, held a kitten and saw lizards, birds, fish, chinchillas and a big ol' turtle. WOW! We continued the treat with lunch at McDonalds. Wesley ate REALLY well, which was nothing short of a birthday miracle.

We spent the afternoon at home. Wesley and I sat in the backyard and fed a squirrel that had ventured close. The poor little guy had a broken paw, so we made sure to give him lots of nuts and bread. Wesley insisted we feed the birds too. I guess the animals in our neighborhood will quickly learn who the suckers are!

Wesley had his first birthday party of the weekend at Grandma and Grandpa H.'s yesterday evening. We had a pizza party with them, Uncle Kirk and Aunt Susan, Aunt Melissa and Cousin Mark, Aunt Judy, Grandma W., Cathy and Sho and Kei. It was a wild time! Wesley had a major fit before everyone arrived, but that's starting to turn into a birthday tradition, so we weren't too surprised. He refused to eat a single bite of pizza, but Duane and I weren't surprised because he had already eaten two good meals for the day.

For the most part, Wesley just wanted to cut his cake and open his presents. He's never really been into presents before, but he was very excited this time. Of course, the first thing he opened was a dinosaur pop-up book and he was instantly in love. It was really hard to get him to open anything else.
































The four boys tore all around the house and yard, while everyone else played "Pass the Baby" in the air conditioning. Sho and Mark really hit it off. Perhaps there will be a play date in the future.









Duane made sure I wasn't left out on Wesley's special day. After all, it is a "birth" day and I was the one who gave birth. My birth day gift was a dozen yellow roses. Sigh. I hope Wesley grows up just like his dad.








No comments: