Friday, March 30, 2007

Vacation Down the Drain

There aren't too many worse ways to end your vacation than with a sick toddler. Wesley has been running a fever on and off for the last couple days. Wednesday we tried to go to storytime and he had a meltdown in the middle of it. As we were leaving the library, I asked him if he was a cranky toddler and he replied, "U-huh." Two hours later he was burning up with fever and we slept on the couch all afternoon.

Things were sort of under control yesterday. I gave him some Motrin in the morning and since he didn't feel warm to the touch, we tried going shopping with Grandma H. BAD IDEA!!! Halfway through the shopping trip he started crying and wouldn't stop. Grandpa H. came to get Grandma and Wesley so I could finish shopping. Wesley got a bit of a second wind last night though and even went to the grocery store with Daddy.

Fast forward to 11:00 PM. Wesley was screaming and crying again and nothing we could do would calm him down. He ended up in our bed once again and at 6:00 this morning was burning up. Almost 2 hours after the Motrin, he's sitting on the floor reading and downing his second cup of milk. I know it's just a small reprieve though. By noon the medicine will be wearing off and he'll be miserable again. That means no Toddler Play Zone today, no North Market and no vacation fun - not unless I want to play Toddler Roulette. When the hour is a little more respectable, I'm going to see if I can get a grandparent to come over and keep the little boy company while I make spinach and black bean lasagna for a baby shower tonight. Wesley is pretty clingy when he doesn't feel well and I don't think I can cook with an extra 25 pounds in one arm!

No comments: