Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A Semi-Charmed Kind of Life

Does anyone else remember the song "Semi-Charmed Life" from the 1990's? I've had that song going through my head for the past couple of days. Not because the lyrics speak to me and not because it's an earworm of a song, but because of something one of our neighbors said.

Duane and I were shooting the breeze with this neighbor from across the way. We were just talking about life in general, and animals and all that kind of stuff when the neighbor said, "You know, your kids are growing up in a charmed life. You have a nice house, a quiet and safe neighborhood with kids for them to play with. You have family around you and the two of you are happy together. It's the kind of childhood you dream of."

Something about her comment, as well meaning and nice as it was, has left me feeling a little uncomfortable.  Yes, my kids are very fortunate - our whole family is.  We do have a nice house in a nice neighborhood. We do have family that we are close to and that live anywhere from 2-30 minutes away. That's a blessing. And I don't know what we would do without our family's love and support. It's vital to us and we wouldn't be where we are (physically or mentally) without it.

In a lot of respects we do have it easy. We don't have to worry about where our next meal is coming from, so we give to the school and church food banks. We can pay our bills, so we give to a special fund at church to help those who need short term relief. We have plenty of clothes to wear, so we donate those we outgrow or don't use. I'm not saying we're perfect, I'm saying we're aware that we're fortunate and try to give back and give to those who don't have these luxuries.

Our kids are growing up in a household with two parents who love each other very much and who are working together to teach them empathy, respect, manners, and kindness. I know that is something many kids never experience.  Duane and I try hard to be a team and I hope our kids see that. I hope they see that our family and our marriage and our service to God are our priorities. I hope they see us working hard.

 All I know is I there is no way I will take it all for granted.

No comments: