Sunday, July 12, 2015

A Brief Reprieve

We've gotten a small reprieve from the rain the last day or so.  Yesterday was flat out beautiful! I give my brother-in-law Stacey all the credit because he and Paula hosted their neighborhood block party yesterday evening and, let me tell you, there is no way Mother Nature would dare rain on Stacey's party.  Our family went - although maybe it was more like crashing since we don't actually live in their neighborhood, but we had a great time.

We woke up to rain today (big surprise) but made it to church to work the welcome table and help set up for VBS, which starts tomorrow. Duane is going to be leading the preschool games and I'll be doing the Bible story for the preschoolers for the morning session. In the afternoon, when the boys are in VBS, we were just going to be general minions, but it turns out that the person doing the Bible story for the elementary crowd is sick. So guess who is going to do a least a day or two of that?  Yep! Me!

We also attempted to go to "Mingle with Our Mutts" at the dog shelter today. Yes, we are seriously considering getting a dog. Or maybe that should read "The boys and I want a dog and Duane is going to let us." It turned out that I had my dates really mixed up and the mingle event is NEXT week. We went into the shelter anyway, and even met a couple of dogs. We really liked "George". He was the perfect size, playful, gentle, didn't bark, and seemed to get along with (or at least not be bothered by) other dogs. The big unknown was the cats though. No one knew George's history and I'm going to risk my kitties safety.  He also had a "hold" on him, meaning someone already has 24 hours to decide if they are going to take him home.

The second dog, "Arthur" was much more shy and didn't really want to interact with the kids. The only person he really interacted with was me. He also really liked the volunteer who had brought him in to us, so he seems to be a dog that prefers women. Since I'm the only woman in the house, that was not going to work. He was nice, but not "our" dog. We'll keep you posted on the dog front.

So that's been our weekend in a nutshell. Not horribly exciting, but low key and with a little sun, so I can't complain too much.

No comments: