Hey, I'm allowed to. It is my blog after all.
Yesterday after the school festival one of the special education teachers from Wesley's grade called out to me, "Wesley's mom! I wanted to tell you something!"
I don't this teacher well. I mean, I know she teaches at the school, but that's about it.
"Uh-oh," I replied.
She laughed, "Oh no. It's good."
She went on to tell me that on Friday all the third grade classes (typical and special education) got together to make cards for some of the staff members. According to this teacher, when the classes combine, as they frequently do, what tends to happen is that the "typical" kids work in one part of the room and the special education kids tend to work on the other side with very little interaction between them. She told me that during this time, Wesley noticed that no one from his typical class was sitting with any of the special education kids, so he gathered his materials and moved to a table with some kids he doesn't sit with in class every day.
"It just came so naturally to him," she told me. "He didn't make a big deal out of it, he just noticed that no one was sitting with them and he decided to change that. He knows how to be good friend to everyone."
Let me tell you, my heart melted a little bit right then. It was exactly the kind of thing a parent wants to hear about their child. I love that boy!
1 comment:
He's such a great kid, doesn't surprise me in the slightest!
Post a Comment