Whoo-hoo!! We had The Talk with child one last night and I'm pretty sure Duane and I were able to clearly communicate what we wanted to without anyone actually dying of embarrassment (although I think our son wanted the earth to open him up and swallow him whole rather than endure the conversation. The constant pulling of his hood over his face was kind of clue.
There were a few humorous highlights though. After The Talk we closed the book we were using to help us explain everything and told our sweet boy that although it was a library book we were going to keep it for a bit longer. We told him that we would put it in his room in case he wanted some additional information or just wanted to look at the illustrations some more.
"NOT in my room!" he cried. "I do NOT want that book in my room!"
Okay, we said. We'd put it in our room in case he wanted it later.
We also warned him that we would be having an additional conversation with even more uncomfortableness before he starts middle school, so start getting used to the idea now.
When child two returned home from his evening visit to his grandparents' house, he was very curious as to the nature of the conversation he missed. When he asked his brother about it, the answer he got was, "Trust me, you do NOT want to know. It was SO gross!"
Of course, this same child one asked if he could sit in on his brother's talk when the time came.
"Why? Do you have some questions, or want something explained again?" I asked.
Horrified he answered, "NO!! I just want to see the look on his face when you tell him what you told me."
Ah, brotherly love. It knows no bounds.
No comments:
Post a Comment