Thursday, January 08, 2015

Not That Innocent Part Two

Wesley loves a good joke. And bad jokes. And good bad jokes. Pretty much, if it's a joke, it's something my kid is interested in. I mean, he eats Laffy Taffy almost solely for the jokes on the wrapper. His best buddies at school share Wesley's fondness for jokes in all their forms, although perhaps a bit too much.

The other night at dinner Wesley shared that one of his friend's told him two jokes that day that were really funny, but also "pretty inappropriate."  I know the kids that Wesley hangs out with school and they are good kids, so I wasn't too worried, but Duane and I told Wesley that if the joke was inappropriate, then he shouldn't repeat them.

Yeah. That works really well on a nine year old boy.

A minute or two later Wesley asked us, "Do you know what  n-u-t-s are?"

"Nuts?" Duane asked. "Sure I do. You eat peanut butter all the time," he told Wesley while shooting me a look of "I know where this is going."

I happened to be munching on some bridge mix for my dessert and popped a chocolate covered almond in my mouth. "I'm eating nuts right now, that was a chocolate almond."

"Well, it can mean something else too," Wesley confided in us. "It can mean 'privates' "

We agreed that yes, it could, and then redirected the conversation.

Later on that evening Wesley approached me asking if I wanted to hear the inappropriate jokes he had learned. Figuring it was better to hear it from the horse's mouth, I said sure.

The first joke was the old one about the naked guy walking into a doctor's office and telling the doctor something was wrong, but he didn't know what. "Well," says the doctor, "I can clearly see your/you're nuts."  Pretty harmless. I'm pretty sure kids have been whispering that one at school for ages.

The second joke was pretty much along the same lines, although it did require Wesley to ask me (in complete seriousness) "Mom, do you what 'balls' are?"  That was a special parenting moment indeed.  But he wanted to be sure I got the joke he went on to tell me. Q: What's the difference between a snowman and a snow woman? A: Snowballs. 

Yes folks, that's third grade boy humor at its finest. And we'll get to re-experience it in two short years.

No comments: