Saturday, May 31, 2014

Summer Reading Time

One of the biggest changes since I switched jobs six years ago has to do with Summer Reading Club. As a children's librarian, SRC is your life. You spend months and months preparing for it - planning, ordering prizes, decorating, creating book lists, doing school visits, creating and implementing special programs, booking performers. And the sheer volume of kids that come into the building and participate is both impressive and exhausting. In my job as selector, I pretty much make sure we have enough copies of the books on the book lists and help out on the desk now and then. That's a pretty significant change.

I still get into the summer reading mode though. I am a stickler about the boys having a half hour of reading time every day - and I sit and join them whenever possible. I sign them up for SRC at the library and make sure they take a book with them wherever they go. Needless to say, I was not the least bit disappointed when the second thing the boys asked to do once school was over was go to the library. The first thing was to go to the pool, but we don't have a membership yet.

Wesley and Ryan pretty  much make themselves at home at the library. Wesley spent a fair amount of time talking to Miss Stacy. He told her all about the Family Cat Team and, how when he reads a book or watches a show he like "to think about who the main characters are."

Ryan must have wanted to relive the good ol' days of his childhood, because he checked out a bunch of the super easy readers that he first learned to read with.

Wesley loves the Narnia books and wanted to pose in the entrance of the storytime room, which looks like you are stepping though the wardrobe into Narnia

In the wardrobe

Here are the boys with their first week book haul. Those are some serious readers!


No comments: