Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Big D

The Big D. Which is not the same as just "Big D" - meaning my hubby. No, the big D would be a certain curse word. A certain "I'm afraid it is my go to curse word" curse word. The one I am most likely to accidentally say in front of my children. Yep, it's "dammit" or "damn."

Ryan dropped the big D while playing a game on the iPad yesterday.

"Ryan, that is not a nice word and I don't want you to say it," I told him. "Go get me a dollar from your piggy bank." We charge the boys for various infractions these days. I don't know how well it works, but the money has been going into a special collection at church, so at least some good is coming of it.

"But Mo-om! You say it!" he protested.

OUCH! I knew I should have watched my mouth after that driver cut me off.

"You're right I do say it sometimes, but it's not a nice word and I try very hard not to say it. I don't want to hear you say it again. And you still owe me a dollar."

Ryan paid up and went about his business. A little bit later he and Wesley were playing a game with some stuffed animals. Ryan had about four stuffed cats out and was naming them all.

"This is Every Cat, and this is Serious Cat and this Damn Cat."

"Ryan! You aren't supposed to say that word! Go get me another dollar." I said.

All I can think is "at least he used it in context."  I am such a bad mom.

No comments: