We didn't get to look at all the houses we planned to today (more on that later), so we are going to look at two others on Friday. And here's where I'm torn. The other two houses are in the suburb where I work, which is a very nice area. They are less money and a bit smaller (200-400 square feet depending on the house), but appear to need less work, at least from the pictures, and have some other good features. The taxes are higher, but we'd be spending less money up front.
Then there is the school thing. Both areas have excellent schools (I have checked the state report cards), but it's so hard to even think of Wesley leaving the school he is at if we moved to the suburb. Yes, I know that kids are resilient and that he'd adapt and probably even be very happy, but I also know that it would be really rough on him. He'd have to leave part way through the school year and be thrust into a class where he knows no one. He's be bussed to another part of town to attend a larger school in the suburb's school district and I'm not sure I like that either. And I have made great friends at Wesley's school. If we move out of the district I'm afraid I'd lose my friends too.
Am I selfish for wanting to stay where we don't have to switch schools? Even if we have to spend more money on a house that needs some cosmetic work? Assuming we could do it that is?
EDIT: Turns out I read the district map wrong and the boys would not be bussed out of the neighborhood in the suburb. Still doesn't make things much easier.
It's probably a good thing that we had to stop the great house hunt a bit early. As Duane and I started looking at houses in the suburb, we got a call from one of the nurse's at Wesley's school. He had been "punched in the mouth" (Wesley's words) by another student at recess, fell to the ground and had two teeth knocked out. They were not completely certain if the teeth that were lost were baby teeth or permanent teeth.
We bailed on our realtor and headed to the school, where we found Wesley walking fighting back tears and walking towards the office. We talked to Wesley and the principal and discovered that Wesley and the other boy involved were practicing their "ninja moves", when the other boy slid down a pole and punched Wesley in the mouth. I don't believe it was malicious in nature, but it sure caused damage. The teeth lost were both baby teeth that were already loose, but we headed up to the dentist to have Wesley checked out just to be safe.
The dentist took x-rays and assured us that everything is fine. One other tooth was knocked a bit loose, but x-ray showed that the permanent tooth is about to come in where that tooth is anyhow. The punch probably just gave the wiggly factor a bit of a boost.
I'm so glad it wasn't more serious - and I really hope the tooth fairy has the cash to fork over for those teeth tonight.

No comments:
Post a Comment