Sunday, August 01, 2010

Feeling Ripped Off

There are certain things I promised myself I'd never say when I was a parent. I've been  a parent for almost 5 years now and I'm pretty sure I've said them all. The star of the "I'd never say...oops I said it" is the infamous "because I said so." Even though I've broken my promise about never saying it, I thought I'd at least get a little more mileage out of it. Unfortunately, Wesley challenges me on it whenever it pops out of my mouth.

Example: I tell Wesley to put his shoes away and get the response, "Why?" I'll tell him that I'm trying to clean up and I need him to put his shoes away.  "But why?"  Repeat this several times and the ever popular parenting saying "Because I said so!" will make it's way out of my mouth.

Instead of getting the instant response I am hoping for because I am at the end of the parenting rope Wesley will say something along the lines of, "But I don't understand WHY you say so!"  Shouldn't I be getting a more for my buck out of  that saying?

No comments: