Friday, March 26, 2010

Egg-actly Right

What a great day this has been! I mean, sure it's had it's up and down moments, but that's life with kids. Overall though, this is one of those days I wish I could repeat.

The day started off on the right foot when both the kids got up before the alarm. We had a nice leisurely breakfast, then headed off to preschool. Mother Nature tried to put a wrench in the plans for today. I walked outside expecting the dusting of snow that was forecast and instead found the car covered in snow and the doors iced shut. Annoying yes, but nothing the scraper couldn't handle.

We dropped Wesley off at preschool, then Ryan and I snuck off for a little special one-on-one time. We went to the community center to swim! Part of me felt like such a snake for going swimming without Wesley, but there is just no way I could handle them both by myself. Ryan and I had a great time. We were the only people in the kid area and had a blast. He is a stubborn little kid though. He wanted to play with the water basketball hoop and when I told him no, he climbed out of the pool and started to go over by himself! We were in the 'lazy river' Ryan wanted a full sized inner tube (which he would slide right out of) and threw a fit when I tried to put him in the baby inner tube. So we just skipped that.

We had a good 45 minute swim then left to go to Panera for a mid morning snack and to order some hot cross buns for Easter. Even that was kind of fun. Ryan was in such a good mood and he loved picking at a muffin with me. Of course, there was that moment when he dropped a full cup of milk all over the floor, but even that didn't bother me too much. Well, it didn't bother me until he started trying to lick it up!


After our snack, Ryan and I picked Wesley up then we all stopped by Duane's work for a quick visit. Wesley wanted to tell Daddy the good news - that he got all his stickers every day this week! But at the last minute he decided to play a little joke and took the stickers off his chart today so it looked like he didn't get any. Yeah, real funny kid.

We had a pretty uneventful afternoon. I baked a cake and Ryan played with the oven mits. What's really funny is I think he was trying to use them as baseball gloves because once he had them on he kept saying "baseball" and trying to pick up a little white plastic golf ball. So cute.

The big event of the day took place this evening at the community center - an Easter egg hunt! Actually since it was pretty cold and there was still a little snow on the ground, it was an Easter egg trail. I was so impressed by how well it was organized. Ryan did a fabulous job.

Once we completed the egg trail, Wesley's attitude started to tank. He didn't want to do the craft and he refused to sit with the Easter Bunny. Ryan didn't really want to sit with the Bunny (see picture below) but after the camera was put away he touched the Bunny's ears and even gave him five.

By the time we went into the gym for some playtime Wesley was skating on VERY thin ice. He had demanded candy and copped one heck of an attitude. He decided to sit and pout that he wanted to go home, so we let him. Ryan had a great time playing and eventually Grandma and Grandpa P. (who went with us) managed to coax Wesley out of his fit.


In fact, Wesley had such a big turnaround in his attitude that we decided to extend the evening by going to get ice cream. Let me tell you, my boys can sure put away some ice cream! But it was a great end to a sweet day.

No comments: