We went to COSI again today and as I was watching Wesley, I started to wonder what kind of kid he'll be. He's such a happy and well behaved baby and I wonder if it will continue. We are already seeing bits of his own personality coming out.
Wesley is pretty independent. Of course there are days that he just wants to be held and cuddled, but more and more he wants to do things on his own. He needs help with the walking toys because he can't quite control how hard he pushes them yet, but if he can tell I'm helping he gets annoyed. I can just hear a little voice saying "Me do it!" On the other hand, he'll play by himself with one toy for a long time.
Wesley is curious. It's so much fun to watch him discover new things, but he's so into the details. Today I blew bubbles for him and he was more impressed by the fact that I was blowing to make the bubbles than he was with the bubbles themselves. He examines every toy for the places where there are holes and screws and he'll be fascinated! He loves to watch people and faces and really see what's going on around him.
Wesley is fearless! He loves to be bounced and swung hard and held upside down. I have a awful feeling that he'll be into bungee jumping someday. He can't stand without holding onto things, but that hasn't stopped him from letting go with one hand (or sometimes both.) He rolls off the couch and it doesn't slow him down for a moment. He's already trying to climb things too. Uh! I can practically feel my hair turning grey.
Today I saw that Wesley is a little stubborn and has a bit of his mommy's temper. The first thing he wanted to do at COSI was ride on one of the bikes. Great! But whenever I stopped pushing the bike he'd burst into tears and scream. I know that he doesn't have any other way of communicating, but I actually got pitying looks from a couple other parents. As soon as starting pushing the bike though, the tears would be replaced by his normal sunny smile.
I had a few minutes when I worried that maybe he'll be a bully. I ran into someone I went to library school with and her youngest was born 3 days after Wesley. The two little guys were playing on some soft blocks and really started checking each other out. Wesley hasn't been around other babies his age. Colin and Reagan are older and James is a few months younger (which is a big difference at this age). They touched each others hands and faces, but then Wesley reached out and pulled the little boy's hair. I was mortified! Logically I know that Wesley has no idea that hair-pulling isn't nice and that it hurts (something Mommy hopes he learns soon!) but still, he kept doing it.
Luckily I was redeemed a little when another child came over and took a toy Wesley was playing with. Wesley just looked at him and that was that. Although later when someone else tried to take his wheelbarrow, Wesley refused to let go. He didn't cry. He didn't get angry. He just held on until the other child gave up and went to play with something else.
You just wonder sometimes what these sweet little babies are going to be like in a few years. Are we going to be memorizing dinosaur names? Will we be tripping over cars? art kits? Will he still love his books so much or will it be a struggle to keep him reading? Are we fated to enter the chicken nugget stage? I can't wait to find out!
No comments:
Post a Comment