Friday, April 01, 2016

Trying Something New

Yesterday was a day to try new things - and only a few of them were actually part of the plan.

We started out the day with a trip to the North Market. I have been wanting to take the kids to a donut place there because I knew they would just love it. I was right!

Mmmm...Chocolate bacon for Wesley, Chocolate Pistachio for me and Grandma and Butterscotch Sea Salt for Ryan

Delicious!

It was almost as big as he is!
We picked up some calzones for dinner, since the boys have heard some cartoon characters talk about calzones and then headed to a bakery for a few more treats. We watched Kids Baking Championship as a family and every since then the boys have wanted to try french macrons and eclairs. Well, I was not about to introduce my children to these culinary delights from a sub-par bakery, so we headed to one of the best in the city, Pistachia Vera.
They chose Coco-Nib Macrons and they loved every crumb
We saved the eclairs for dinner dessert, but they went over incredibly well too - even though Wesley called it a "dessert hotdog."  I think the boys wondered why we have been holding out and hadn't introduced them to the wonderfulness much earlier.

After the North Market, our plan had been to go to COSI and spend the cool, rainy day there. However, it seemed like everyone in every school district on spring break had the same idea. The line to get into the overflow parking lot stretched over a block. Time for Plan B.

Plan B was going to be the history museum, but at the spur of the moment Grandma and I decided to give the Central Ohio Fire Museum a try. I'm so glad we did! I've driven by it my whole life, but never stopped. It was FASCINATING!!!

Wesley and Ryan helping a firefighter work the old-fashioned hand pump. This was used even before horse drawn fire-engines, back when a bunch of men would pull the wagon to the fire.


A new fangled steam fire-engine

Wesley ringing the tower bell

Ryan's turn

Getting ready for the loud alarm that would wake the firefighters sleeping upstair
Did I mention it was loud?
We watched a fire fighter put on every piece of his equipment, then the kids inspected him to make sure there wasn't a single sliver of skin exposed

Giving the fire pole a try


After the fire museum, we headed to the toy store where the boys pooled their Easter money to purchase a new LEGO set, which they spent most of the afternoon putting together.

Guess trying something new now and then isn't such a bad thing after all.

No comments: