Sunday, December 30, 2012

Homesick

Can you be homesick for a feeling, rather than a place? I've been feeling down again the last couple of days and I think I'm homesick. Not for our old house really, but for the feeling of our family in our own place. Living with my mom and stepdad has been great so far. No blow ups. We're not tripping over each other. They have been warm and welcoming and wonderful.We all get along really well, so what I'm feeling has nothing to do with them, but I miss being home.

I miss knowing where my stuff is. Is it in storage? Is it in one of the boxes we brought to the house?

I miss my cats desperately. My parent's cat is nice enough, but he doesn't snuggle me. He doesn't sleep on the bed. He doesn't sit on my lap while I eat or type on the computer or watch tv.

I miss having people over to hang out and play games.

I miss the feel of my own bed and furniture.

I know it's silly, but I swear, I'm homesick. And I think it's gotten worse lately because if all this house stuff had gone the way it was supposed to, we'd be moving into our new place next weekend. The time in limbo would be almost up. Instead we have three more weeks of not really belonging anywhere. I also can't get over the fear that something will go wrong yet again and we STILL won't have a house to move into.

I know we'll be able to laugh about it all by this time next year, but for now all I can think is that Dorothy was right all along. There's no place like home.

No comments: