Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Eve Recap

Now that Christmas is over for another year, I can actually take the time to blog about what turned out to be a great holiday. I was a little nervous about this year. I've been so depressed and our living situation has been so up in the air, so I happily surprised by how much I enjoyed myself this Christmas.

The boys and I started off the day by making snowmen rice krispie treats. We usually spend part of Christmas Eve day making a gingerbread house, but for the life of me, I could not find a gingerbread house kit to buy when I was looking over the weekend. The snowmen were really easy and fun though. 
Ryan's snowman is on the right, Wesley's is on the left. Wesley gave his to Grandpa H. to enjoy.

I made the boys go with me to pay a visit to Sanders at the vets office. I think I wanted them with me for two reasons. First, Grandma and Grandpa had a lot to do and I wanted the kids out of the house. Second, seeing Sanders makes me want to cry. I miss him so very much and he looks so bad to me most days. I'm so afraid he isn't going to live to see the new house. If the boys go see him with me, I am forced to fake cheerful.
We took Sanders a little Christmas treat of peanut butter. He loves the stuff - but a partial spoonful goes a long way!

 
When we got back from the vets office, it was almost time for lunch. Grandma had purchased the fixings for reindeer sandwiches (reindeer shapes, NOT meat), so that's what Ryan had. Wesley is a creature of habit and refused to eat one, insisting on a hot dog, cheese sticks and strawberries instead, but check out what Ryan got to feast on.

It might not have been the healthiest lunch, but it was tasty and fun!

For a twist on tradition, the family went to the 4:30 children's service at the church Duane and I attend. We figured we'd get home early enough that we could have a leisurely evening and not have to rush through dinner and gifts to get to church on time.

Pre-church photo of the boys. Wesley ROCKED the necktie

I cannot put into words how much I love this man!

The church service was short and different, but great. We sang some carols accompanied by the worship band. The pastor delivered a short message and Santa Claus came to the service to read a story about the real meaning of Christmas. The kids had glowsticks to hold during the candlelight singing of  "Silent Night." It was fun AND meaningful.

After church everyone headed back to Grandma and Grandpa's to eat dinner and open gifts.

Wesley the mini-executive waiting for the gift giving to begin.

I love this picture of the cousins

Of course, I love this one too!
Wesley took the job of handing out the gifts this year since he could read all the tags. He did such a nice job. First he handed out all the gifts he bought with his own money for people - Grandpa H. got some cleaning wipes for his computer, Grandma H. got candy, Daddy got two Spiderman bowls, Ryan got Sour Patch Kids and a puzzle, Aunt Cathy got a book written and illustrated by Wesley and I got a picture frame and a colored coloring book. Next, Wesley handed out gifts to everyone else, saving his own presents for last. I was very proud of him putting everyone else before himself.

Wesley and Ryan were still pretty wound up after everyone left. At one point they were doing laps around the coffeetable and singing made up songs about Christmas. Ryan's song went, "Jesus is a baby. He's a special special baby!" They did finally settle down and head to bed though. Wesley told Ryan that they weren't allowed to talk so they could fall asleep and Santa could come.

And then it was a silent night.

No comments: