Wesley had his first real tee ball game tonight. I thought it went very well overall, but the last time Wesley's team was up to bat, he was in tears. I went to over to see what was wrong, and he told me he was upset because he wasn't good at the game.
I tried to give him a mommy pep-talk and told him that he hit the ball every time and got to first base and was in ready position when he was in the outfield, so I was very proud. It didn't make a bit of difference. Some of his teammates even came over and told him he was doing a great job, but he was having a really rough time shaking it off. The last inning was really difficult for him.
When the game was over he walked to the car totally dejected. His buddy kept telling Wesley to keep practicing and that he was getting better. I asked Wesley what he wanted to practice and get better at and he answered, "All of it!"
I think part of the problem is that Wesley doesn't like to do things he doesn't think he's good at. He'd rather quit than practice but we told him that he is part of a team and he is not allowed to let his team down by quitting. I think part of the problem might have been hunger. Like his mommy, Wesley gets "hangry" (hungry/angry) if he doesn't eat and since the game was at 6:30, all he had eaten was some fruit.
Of course, the real reason came out at home. Wesley was tagged out at first base during the second inning (not that outs really count since everyone gets to bat every time). The kid covering first did a little sports trash talk and said, "I was here first, baby!" when Wesley got to the base. Unfortunately, that totally shattered Wesley's ego.
He's completely over it now (he's eaten something substantial) and says that next time he "totally smoke that kid!"
I hope the rest of the season lacks this drama - but we are going to get a tee and bat tomorrow so we can practice.
2 comments:
He did GREAT, but I know you are hoarse from telling him that. Jack is just all about the outfit and doing the right stance when fielding. He even showed me the stance. So we have one boy who wants to be perfect and one boy who's theatrical - should be a fun season! Glad I can share it with you :)
What a pair they make! :-) Good thing we (and they) have got each other!
Post a Comment