Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What Have I Done?!?

The storm clouds are gathering above. I can feel a little knot of despair settling in the pit of my stomach. Oh, what have I done? I must have been out of my mind! One of my cats is LONG overdue for a visit to the vet. On top of that, he has HORRIBLE kitty breath and deep down I know that he probably needs a tooth pulled and a cleaning. So I finally sucked up the guilt over not taking him to the doctor for so long and made the appointment for my next day off. Sounds reasonable, right? Wrong!

The vet we go to is near Wesley's preschool. So next Friday, I'll load Wesley, Ryan, and a yowling cat in a carrier into my mini-van. I'll drive to the preschool, gather Ryan and Wesley and leave the cat in a carrier while I get Wesley into his classroom. Then I'll buckle Ryan back in the van and drive to the vet's office, where I will have to sit in the waiting room with a toddler and a yowling cat in a carrier.

When the doctor is able to see us, I'll have to juggle Ryan and the yowling cat (now out of the carrier), balanced with my extreme guilt and embarrassment over how long it's been since the cat's last appointment. I will watch my cat get shots, fork over a lot of money and make a follow up appointment for whatever is wrong with his teeth.

Then I will get to shove the cat back into the carrier and listen to him start yowling again while I kill some time waiting for Wesley to finish preschool. I'll unbuckle Ryan, collect Wesley from his classroom, buckle both boys back into the van and drive back home to accompaniment of the yowling cat in the carrier.

Once we get home, I'll feed the kids some lunch, put Ryan down for a nap and pray that the cat doesn't decide to pee on anything in order to get back at me for putting him through such an ordeal.

Now, don't you wish you were me?

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

Hopefully it will go better than our last visit to the vet. I had a yowly biting cat who acted so fierce that Grant BAWLED. So you could have a sobbing boy and a yowly cat to add to your guilt. That's what I had. :)