Heather's List of October Wonderfulness (in no particular order - except for number 1)
1) October in Ohio tends to be one of the best months of the year, weather-wise. It's not too hot, or too cold. It rains, but not all that much. The sun usually shines. The average October high where I live is 66 and low is 43. We get about 2.5 inches of rain. PERFECT!! I had to list weather number 1 because so many of my favorite October things revolve around it.
2) I am girly girl most of the time. I love floral dresses. I love skirts. However, the truth is that I could LIVE in jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt/sweatshirt/sweater. October lends itself very well to wearing my favorite kind of clothes.3) To me, nothing says "football season" like October. There's a bite to the air and the crowds/bands/cheers just sound sharper. The hits sound louder. I know plently of people out west and down south would disagree with me, but 80 degrees is NOT football weather!
4) Hockey season starts!
5) I love Fall food! What is Fall food? Well, to me it's ANYTHING pumpkin (I'm a total pumpkin addict.) It's piping hot soup/stew/chili with a side of good bread. It's pork (I don't know why, but it is). It's hot cider - with or without a little Southern Comfort added. It's caramel apples, or plain apples or apple pie or apple cake. It's candy corn! More specifically, it's Brach's original candy corn.
6) October is when the leaves actually start changing and falling, but the branches aren't completely bare and depressing. I often find myself looking at the beauty of nature and saying a little thank you to God.
7) October means the start of craft show season. I love craft shows and even though I don't usually buy much, I like to go to as many as possible.
8) Pumpkin picking! We go to a place that has pumpkin donuts, a hay ride, a barn filled with hay and slides for the kids to play in and a sunflower maze. It's a wonderful afternoon!
9) October means Halloween. In my book, Halloween is the perfect holiday. There's no big meal to prepare (although I do like to cook a special fun themed meal on Beggar's Night). There are no gifts to buy. No cards to send (unless you want to - they are totally optional on Halloween). Parents don't need to stay up to leave presents under the tree or hide eggs. All you are expected to do is dress up as someone or something you are not and eat a lot of candy. What's not to love here!?
10) October 4th happens to be the best day of the year - at least, it has been that way for the past 35 years.
1 comment:
October is my fav too! I didn't know you were a Libra ;) My bday is the 18th! One of my girls is the 13th and my mom is the 14th! LOVE IT!
Post a Comment