Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Faith of a Child

Sometimes I am just so overcome by being a mother. Overcome with love, with gratitude, with responsibility - all rolled into one. I wonder how I became responsible for molding a child in such a way that he will be a responsible, productive person someday. I wonder how I am doing as a mom. Am I too lenient? Too strict? What kind of man is my boy going to be? How can I instill a love and commitment to God and family in him? And when all of these questions start to weigh too heavily, Wesley does something to make me know that it's all going to work out fine.

Last night when I got home from work, I heard Wesley kicking his bed - not in anger, but in boredom. I went upstairs to his room and knelt down beside his bed.

Mommy: Hi Wesley.
Wesley: Hi Mommy.
Mommy: Why are you still awake? It's late.
Wesley: I want Bear and Rabbit.
Mommy: They are in the kitchen. I'll go get them for you.
Wesley: (sighing) I know.

My heart just melted then. Wesley has complete faith that his parents are going to make everything alright. Of course Mommy was going to go get his stuffed animals because he needed them. Of course Daddy can toss Wesley around without Wesley being scared - Wesley has complete faith that Duane is going to catch him. A kiss still heals all boo-boos (Wesley even kissed my head after I bumped it today). Is anything in the world sweeter or more precious than the love, trust and faith of a child?

No comments: