Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"Back" to the Real World

After three days of lying around on the couch, I'm heading back to work today. I'm not sure my family is entirely supportive of that decision, but I need to go to work. Duane extracted the following promise from me last night: If my back hurts bad enough that I want to take a vicodin (I have to leave them at home because I'm not allowed to drive while taking them), then it hurts too much to be at work and I'll come home immediately. Sounds fair.

We went to Kirk and Susan's last night to celebrate their 8th anniversary and Duane's birthday (which is Thursday.) For me that meant lying around on their furniture instead of my own! :-) Susan made a killer lasagna for dinner and an appetizer of buffalo chicken dip that was so scrumptious I could have easily eaten the entire bowl by myself!

When we exchanged gifts, Wesley was pretty keyed up (from chasing the kitties and realising it was someones birthday). He kept singing "Happy Birthday" and insisting that I wear a blue bow on my head. The sad thing is, the picture Susan took of me wearing the bow is pretty good (and safely on HER computer, not mine!) Duane received a controller for his Play Station 2, the 80's version of Guitar Hero and a second guitar so he can play against his friends. We got Kirk and Susan a chocolate fountain, which Susan seemed to love. I was even surprised by an early birthday present (I still have 15 days to go). I FINALLY got Dance Dance Revolution!!!!! As soon as my back feels better I plan on dancing every night. I am so excited!!!!

Of course, the best present of all was received eight years ago. I am so glad Susan is part of our family. Kirk loves her so very much and I know she feels the same way. There have been times we thought that Susan's health problems would get the best of her, but she is a fighter an instead gives her best to her husband, family and friends every day. She brings out a part of Kirk that he would rather hide and I think he keeps her grounded. I am so happy for them and I wish them many many more years of a loving marriage!

No comments: